Friday, April 29, 2011

New Chicks




We have just expanded our flock! We made a 1 hour drive as a family to get our new little chicks. It was a lot of fun when the box of chicks came to the window and you could hear them chirping away. Buying and finding the right chicks was both easier and harder than I had first thought. Finding where to buy a one day old chick is just a mouse click away, BUT most places have a minimum order of 15-25 chicks. That is all fine and dandy if you have a large Coop or yard to house your fluffy little friends. We on the other hand have a small backyard and no need for 25 bantam birds taking it over. I did come by a recommendation of a place near by that only requested a $25 order min, and I could pick them up. That was the other thing I was worried about, having a box at my post office full of chirping chicks.

So now came the fun part, picking what birds to order. I thought that bantams were only in a few breeds and boy was I wrong! I can't tell you how many types and colors you can get but there are many. I came to love the look of Wyandottes. They come in a few different color combos so to make my life easy I ordered and mix of colors. It will be so much fun to watch as these birds get their feathers in and how they color up.

Here is out flock right now. There are 11 chicks total and we plan on keeping 4 or so of them, the others we will sell.


No comments:

Post a Comment